About Fund Duel
It all began with a conversation between and a mother and a daughter. The conversation did not go something like this:
Mom: we need to start a new business because I am bored. The kids have all moved out and Dad snores at night.
Daughter: OK Mom. Go for it.
No, instead, the conversation began with an attempt to figure out what on earth is happening to us. Why the incivility, the self-absorption and the 24 hour negative news cycle that swarms us like angry hornets? We examined this further and agreed that both of us have intense desires to create a more positive approach to life: to give, serve, share, laugh, and support. How can we channel those passions on line where people can enjoy giving to an enterprise, a cause, a high school band, a foundation?
The more we discussed this, the more excited we became at the possibility of mixing the hyper-powerful elements of positive content sharing, contagious word of mouth, emotive images and the spirit of friendly competition on a web-based platform that is quirky, fun, unexpected and effective in its outreach?
As we got our busy on, we noticed two prevailing problems in the fundraising world: (1) raising money, at least through traditional ways, is difficult! Enormous time, costs and resources can be spent to host an event, a gala dinner, a silent auction, a walk-a-thon or similar events. We discovered that as much as 90% of funds raised can go to paying off the expenses to raise the money. Ouch! Furthermore, we concluded through personal experience that, (2) fundraising can be drudgery, sucking energy out with endless follow up, calls, begging donors, grant writing, and to-dos and checklists all of which often lead to minimal results.
We came up with a solution, this after many long conversations deep into the night. Mom, a PhD holder that specialized on the addictive nature of violence, feverishly launched into a post-doctorate level of research into human reward systems. Combined with 20 years of community building and philanthropic outreach, the bones of Fund Duel were born. Her name is Linda Hansen and she is the CEO and Founder of Fund Duel.
Her daughter, a millennial that shares the same passion as Linda for the planet and the under privileged, has spent many of her young years in service through the Arbinger Institute, faith groups and a family-focused foundation we launched in Denver, Colorado. She is pursuing her degree in international peace-building while she raises her young family. The opportunity to uplift others through multiple avenues via Fund Duel is a dream come true. As co-founder, Jasmine Hansen Toomalatai is Fund Duel's pipeline to what millennials think about, what trends they experience and embrace and how they perceive the future.
We are glad you opened our website and to this page. We invite you to join the movement and launch a duel of your own! On the way to success, let's enjoy some fun and create some memories along the way.
Cost of Fundraising
According to Charity Navigator, a survey taken on the subject of fundraising showed that, when asked what percentage of money raised goes to expenses, the average answer was 14%, but in a national study on the matter, the actual number is 37%, a gap between perception and reality of twenty-three percent!
Every fundraising effort has costs associated with it. Independent Research Indicates that:
- Non Profit organizations throughout USA: average cost to raise money = 16%
- Events (gala dinners, raffles, auctions) average cost ranges from 23% to 90%
- On-line fundraising platforms costs range from: 20% to 50%
Fund Duel's cost to raise money (10%) includes the following benefits to our fundraisers:
- Security of payments and money transferred straight to your bank account
- Corporate sponsorship and matching funds
- Cash prizes and other fun prizes
- Cloud services
- Insurance (liability, directors and officers, errors and omissions)
- Customer service representatives to assist you
- Fees for video transfers from You Tube
- Technical support
- Optional cost and amazing benefit = coordinators who can do all the work for you, eliminating the need for you or your organization to spend time and resources creating and managing the campaign. For all this, the coordinator fee equals 10% of funds raised.
About Our Logo
The traditional symbol of a duel is two crossed swords. I studied this symbolism at length and asked, how can we turn swords into plowshares? We kept the tips sharp but bent the swords to soften them and as a result they created two semi-circles.
The thought occurred to me that the swords morph into two hemispheres which is symbolic of bringing together two opposing worlds through a spirit of collaboration into gestures of goodwill and harmony.
The colors we chose were blue and green, representing the planet---this lovely and lively earth---it's waters that are in rich abundance of plant and animal life, and the nurturing force it provides.
Why can't our fundraising platform reflect all this? We intentionally set Fund Duel up to to offersSharp, but friendly and collaborate competition, that through the causes that embrace our platform do our share in partnering with people all over the world in enhancing the planet, its places and people and animals.
Thus, we turn good intentions into meaningful works.
--Linda Hansen, CEO of Fund Duel
Fund Duel Mission Statement
Our mission is to operate the world's most productive, entertaining, reliable and participatory on line fundraising site and by so doing, we empower people with the tools needed to excel in their quest to raise money. This we do by harnessing, implementing and creating the technology and methods to fulfill that mission. Our core values guide us as global conditions shift and evolve, but by never settling, we remain relevant and cutting–edge as funds are raised to enhance the planet, its inhabitants (human and otherwise) and communities, where ever they may be.
We are the world's most dynamic, disruptive and consistently successful fund-raising site. Through trans-organizational collaboration, Fund Duel is the premiere platform of choice to raise money. We deliver what we say we will, we are bold, disruptive and compassionate and our web site clearly demonstrates that.
- We celebrate life and all forms of it on planet Earth.
- We cherish the collective good of people that walk this earth and the wisdom they possess
- We want clear air, clean water and nutritious food available for all
- We are nimble
- We are not boring. We have an infectious love for life and the joy it brings, especially through collaborative giving
- We foster altruism and encourage kindness
- We believe honesty and transparency are critical to our short and long term success
- We embrace disrupters, those that are not stuck with yesterday's models, news, rules
- There is genius in us all and we strive to provide tools and environments where that flourishes
- We embrace humor and good will and seek to make life's journey memorable and meaningful
- “Direction first, then velocity” is a guiding value that tempers our focus, energies and strategies