Peace Works United and Tacoma-George Sister City Committee Presents"The Read Well" Challenge & Fundraiser YOUTH LEADER Gabe Davis
YOUTH LEADER Gabe Davis
Team Gabe Davis
Hi, My name is Gabe Davis and I am a Junior at Gig Harbor High School. Books and reading have always been an important part of my life. Over time, I also have come to understand why literacy is important to social justice and to making the world a better place.
Literacy is foundational to equity and is a cornerstone for access to many things that support people’s well-being and overall thriving. Literacy in this day and age is something that is of great value because of all of the doors it opens up - to jobs, to political knowledge, to resources, and to life experiences. The thing about it is that if not taught at a young age - by 3rd grade in most cases- literacy can be very difficult to “pick up” later in life. That’s why it is of great importance that the third and fourth graders of George, South Africa are equipped with the needed resources in order to gain such an important set of capacities.
When kids see reading as relevant to them, they engage it differently. A personalized book can change how they think about the role of reading in their lives. I am committed to this project because I understand the role of literacy in making the world a more equitable, peaceful, and better place and because I personally have experienced the navigational capital and benefits that come with literacy and believe that it’s my ethical obligation to help other kids to experience the same.
Peace Works United and Tacoma-George Sister City Committee Presents
The Read Well Challenge
We are inviting you to join us in raising money to support 400 3rd and 4th graders in George South Africa on improving their reading skill and comprehension.
The collaboration is between Peace Works United & Tacoma George Sister City Committee in the US and Womb to Tomb, a Non Governmental Organization in South Africa.
Womb to Tomb has defined the problem as 78% of South Africa's children in grades 3rd and 4th can not read for meaning.
We are excited to be part of the solution by providing them with a Holiday gift of personalized books that feature their name and family members as main characters in the story. Each book is a small cost of 20 dollars. When we reach our goal, we will donate any excess funds to Greentrike Children's Museum and the Parkland Literacy Center at Pacific Lutheran University. When the story is about them, they will surely understand.
Thank you for your involvement.
Read Well Challenge & Fundraiser
READ. UPLOAD. DONATE.
Show us your favorite book about peace by reading it to some youngsters or uploading a picture with you holding it!
HOW TO JOIN THE CHALLENGE
1. UPLOAD A VIDEO of you reading to someone of youth or upload a picture holding your favorite book about peace.
2. Select the RED BUTTON to make your donation to the team you are supporting.
3. SHARE your video or picture of how you #readwell on Facebook or Instagram and nominate minimum of 3 friends to join in and donate.
YOUTH LEADER Gabe Davis Challenge Leaderboard
Vote for your favorite photo or video by donating!
Recent Donations for the YOUTH LEADER Gabe Davis team
- Erin McGinnis donated $75.00.
- Daniel Shipp donated $25.00.
- Jen Rude donated $50.00.
- Tara Simmelink donated $50.00.
- Jean Gonsier-Gerdin donated $100.00.
- Elizabeth Griego donated $100.00.
- Kristina Cammarano donated $25.00.
- Nolan Soete donated $25.00.
- Angelica Hambrick donated $100.00.
- Elisa Anders donated $50.00.
- Jennifer Kennedy donated $50.00.
- Lisa Cooper Wilkins donated $100.00.
- Steve Jacobson donated $50.00.
- Joanna Royce-Davis donated $100.00.
- Joanna Royce-Davis donated $250.00.